Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Letter from War-theatre

Dear Johnny,

As soon as I go here I looked around and thought “Dear God, Genn what mess have you gotten yourself into?” As soon as we got off the plane, my unit was immediately taken to the hospitals. When I got there I was horrified. Wounded bodies were everywhere. And the stench of death and blood filled the entire room. I could barely contain myself. Right away I counted the number of beds, than I counted the number of patients. There were twenty-four beds, and twenty-eight patients. Two of which were children. I walked over to the beds of those children. One was a boy, about ten years old, and the other was a little girl. She couldn’t have been more than five. I looked at the little girl; she reminded me some much of my little Savanna. From the looks of it they appeared to be brother and sister. There village was attacked, and both of them had been severely burned. The little girl held on to her brother’s hand. He smiled, but he was so badly burned that I knew that he was inches from death. He went into cardiac arrest, I and another nurse tried to save him, but he was already gone. I looked to the little girl; I saw tears stinging her burned face. I knelt down next to her, and took hold of her hand. The nurse who tried to help me told me that a soldier had found the boy amongst the rubble, when he reached down to get him, he found this little girl underneath him. I felt so heartbroken; this little boy threw himself on top her, knowing that he might die. To protect his little sister from the debris that was there home. I felt a sense of fear rising up in me. I think I might have made a terrible mistake by coming here. All my life I’ve always wanted to a nurse, but I was completely unprepared for what I just encounter. I asked the nurse, what was to happen to this child. She turned to me and told me, that she didn’t know. Tears clouded my vision; I looked to my right, where the boy was. And he wasn’t there; in his place was a soldier. I looked around for him, and found saw a door in the back of the hospital. I followed three other women back there. I looked outside, and I saw the little boy. He was lying inside a small bag. I looked beside him, and saw seven other small bags. And I knew that these were children that had died. I…I was disgusted, and, and shocked, and completely mortified. I don’t think I can do this, Johnny. I’m in way over my head. I wake up every morning waiting to hear your voice and our Savanna’s laughter. Tell her mommy loves her, and that she’ll be home soon. I love you, Johnny.

Write me back, Gennyphir.

No comments: